DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips

Everyone loves sunlight, right?

Well, if I go to the bathroom right after waking up and the bright sun dazzles me, I can't say I love it in that moment.
A solution was needed. And just then I saw this awesome tutorial from Thrift Driving on Pinterest. I immediately fell in love with her DIY Window Privacy Screen and I knew, my solution was gonna be something like that.

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips



How to make your own DIY Window Curtain Screens


At most parts I followed the tutorial from Thrift Driving.
Here's what I made differently and tips I find useful.


Items I needed


  • Wood of your choice - I used cheap spruce laths with dimensions 2500 x 24 x 44 mm
  • Fabric - mine is 100% woven white cotton, just sheer enough to let the room stay bright but weaken the sunlight
  • Paint, brushes, a pattern, scissors, ribbon band for the fabric
  • Hand saw, miter box, electric screwdriver, wood screws, metal angles for the wood
  • Tape measure, staple gun

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips - Materials needed
Materials needed for the wood

I (don't know why) decided to make 45° miter angles - but without power tools it's difficult to get perfect angles and there will be gaps. Better cut them straight! 

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips - Materials needed
Painting the fabric

I painted the fabric with simple, cheap watercolours, as I didn't plan on washing them. 
After searching online for a pattern I would like I found this cute kitty pattern. It reminded me of my own cats sitting at the window looking outside - purrfect!
This was very simple. I just printed one cat in the size I found good on normal paper and cut the inside out. Press it onto the fabric with one hand and paint with the other.

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips - Spruce frame
The cut laths - not yet attached to each other

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips - Metal angle bracket
Attached with metal angle bracket

To attach the laths to each other I used metal angle brackets. Trust me - you will not see them once your project is finished.
There is no pre-drilling a hole needed. Just use wood screws in correct size and screw them in.


DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips - Woven cotton

For the fabric I used a cheap, thin, woven white cotton. It really needs to be thin to let enough sunlight through.
Do not forget to leave enough excess fabric at the sides, as you need to fold them around the edges and fix them at the back of your frame!

For me, using a staple gun to attach the fabric to the frame was easier than using a glue. But I guess both would work fine depending on which you like better to use.

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips

At the end I added a short ribbon at one upper corner and the diagonal lower corner. This ensures that I can take the frames out if needed.

DIY Window Curtain Screen - How To Tutorial and Tips

And here's what it looks like in our bathroom!


What are your solutions for tiny windows? Would you DIY this and what would you make differently?

Comments